Spanish Seafood Stuffed Egg Appetizers
Deviled eggs are great for an appetizer but this recipe is slightly different because we are using seafood as well as the egg, mashing tuna with egg yolks, tomato sauce, mayonnaise and Spanish paprika along with salt and black pepper. You can use finely chopped cooked shrimp instead of the tuna if you prefer. Use canned tuna in oil, and drain off the oil before using the tuna in the recipe. Use your judgment as to the amount of paprika used.
These eggs are often served as a pre-lunch appetizer in Spain, but you can serve them as a snack whenever you wish. Because you can make these ahead, you might want to make them in the morning if you are having some friends over in the evening. Then you can simply put them in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them. It is your choice whether or not to peel the eggs. Leaving them half-unpeeled does give them a nice, rustic look though. If you are serving them with some of the shell on, things can get messy, so serve them in eggcups with teaspoons.
This recipe makes one egg per person while some devilled egg recipes serve half a stuffed egg per person. That means this one is slightly more filling but sometimes a hearty appetizer is ideal, especially if there is going to be some time between the appetizer and the entrée. This is also a nice snack for the kids coming home from school a few hours before dinner time. It is certainly filling enough to keep them satisfied until dinnertime anyway. Feel free to use homemade or canned tomato sauce, and the same applies to the mayonnaise. You might like to use less tomato sauce and a splash of Worcestershire sauce (or lemon juice) or make your own recipe for the filling. Anything that suits the seafood flavor would be wonderful.
- 12 eggs
- 12 oz canned tuna (or chopped cooked shrimp, or some of each)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sweet Spanish paprika, to taste
- 12 green asparagus tips, for garnish
- Boil the eggs in water for 12 minutes or until hard-boiled.
- You should add the asparagus tips in the last couple of minutes and cook them to al dente.
- Let the eggs and asparagus tips cool.
- Cut the top ⅓ off each egg off (save these cooked whites for another use) and remove the yolks.
- You can leave the shell on the bottom of the egg or remove it, as you prefer.
- Now mash the tuna and/or shrimp with the tomato sauce, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Mash the seafood mixture with the egg yolks.
- Use this mixture to fill the egg whites, piling it high on top.
- Add a green asparagus tip on top of each one.
- Chill the eggs until you are ready to serve them.
These cute little stuffed eggs would be perfect as an appetizer if you want to offer something unusual with rustic charm. These are popular as a pre-lunchtime snack in Spain and they are also nice served at a sit-down dinner along with a teaspoon so your guests can get all the egg out of the shells. If you prefer to peel the shells go ahead. We are using tuna or shrimp (or some of each) for the filling, along with mayonnaise, tomato sauce and Spanish paprika to get a nice pink color and a well-balanced flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29239 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24693 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21798 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21329 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13361 Views)