Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés
Smoked salmon is a wonderful ingredient for making appetizers. Whether you use it fresh or smoked, raw or cooked, salmon offers a distinctive pink color which will brighten up any dish, adding its delicious flavor as well as its bright color. Salmon pairs well with many ingredients, such as eggs, capers, pasta, bread, mayonnaise or salad ingredients. The following recipe is incredibly simple, and the salmon is paired with capers. The salty taste of the capers really complements the salmon.
These snacks also include lemon slices, and the fish will take on a slight citrus taste from the lemon. This is a nice, make-ahead appetizer which you can make well in advance. If you are making this an hour in advance you can simply pop the plate into the refrigerator until required. If you are making it several hours in advance, wrap some plastic wrap over the plate to stop the salmon from drying out. These are colorful little appetizers which should appeal to everyone who likes fish.
A few people might eat the lemon slice but most will leave it on the plate, since it is primarily for garnish, plus to add a little lemon flavor to the parts of the salmon in contact with it. These appetizers are good for all kinds of get-togethers and they are also nice in the colder months if you wish to offer a cold appetizer. Smoked salmon does not do well in the heat, so it is best to serve these indoors.
- 1 lemon in 8 slices
- 8 chopped slices smoked salmon
- 24 capers
- Arrange the lemon slices on a plate.
- Top each one with a few pieces of salmon, pressing down well so it holds its shape.
- Top each one with 3 capers and chill until required.
You can see the lemon is sliced widthwise (across the middle) before being topped with tasty smoked salmon and a few capers. This is a colorful and simple appetizer. Some people might eat the lemon slices, because some people do that, but most will enjoy the touch of lemon flavor the citrus slices give to the fish, and leave the lemon slice intact. Salmon and capers go really well together and are often paired in risottos, seafood salads and pasta dishes. They also combine well to make this flavorful canapé. If you prefer to use lime then that will also work, although you will need more than one because limes are smaller.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15690 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)