Shrimp Cocktail Platter
This delicious shrimp cocktail platter is perfect for your next party, potluck gathering, or meeting. Everyone loves shrimp. Dress it up a little with some seasoning and serve it with delicious cocktail sauce and watch everyone scarf it down! This dish will be the most popular one you serve. Make it look as attractive as you can; put on a little garnish to set off the pink shrimp.
The brine really adds flavor to the shrimp. Use your choice of the seasoning suggestions or use them all, whichever you choose. Add the red pepper flakes if you like your shrimp a little spicy; stick with lemon if you want it simple. Garlic is a nice touch with shrimp. If you are daring, dump them all in the brine and then add the shrimp. They will absorb the flavors and taste absolutely delicious.
Do not use precooked shrimp. They will not absorb the flavors well and when you cook them they will become rubbery. Always use raw shrimp when you can. Remove the shell except for the tail before marinating and cooking. This recipe is simple enough you can make it at the last minute. Leave yourself time to shell the shrimp; this can sometimes take a little while if you are not used to it. Save the shells to flavor homemade fish stock if you wish.
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups ice
- 1 lemon slice
- Lemon zest
- Black peppercorns
- Crushed garlic
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon dried coriander
- 1-½ pounds large shrimp, shell on, deveined (32 shrimp, 21-25 per pound size)
- Olive oil
- Old Bay seasoning
- Mix the salt, sugar, and water together until everything is dissolved. Add the lemon, zest, peppercorns, garlic, pepper flakes, parsley, and coriander (or any combination of them according to your taste) to the brine. When all is mixed together, add the shrimp. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and let it heat up under a hot broiler for 5 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the brine and let it drain well.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water to remove excess brine. Let them dry on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp in a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little Old Bay seasoning.
- Place the shrimp on the heated baking pan and put under the broiler for 2 minutes.
- Just as they are turning slightly pink, turn them over and let them broil on the other side for 1 minute.
- Transfer the shrimp to a cool bowl or baking sheet and chill immediately in the refrigerator.
- How to Arrange Shrimp Platter
- Serve with cocktail sauce after they have chilled thoroughly.
- Arrange the shrimp around the cocktail sauce dish with all the tail going in one direction to form a fan pattern. This makes it easier to serve and lends to a more dramatic presentation of the shrimp.
No one can resist beautiful pink shrimp on a platter. This delicious brined shrimp recipe gives the shrimp enough seasoning to be enjoyed on its own, but it is still fabulous dipped in the cocktail sauce. Set out a platter with a little garnish of parsley or celery top and watch everyone make a beeline to the appetizers. This dish is wonderful for a party or whenever you have guests drop by and you want a little snack. You can also make individual servings for a dinner party by using martini glasses filled with cocktail sauce.
One Response to Shrimp Cocktail Platter
Leave a Reply
- Best Superbowl Chili Recipe December 7, 2014
- Spicy BBQ Quesadilla Holiday Appetizer November 23, 2014
- Bacon and Cheese Appetizer Rolls November 22, 2014
- Balsamic Asparagus and Parmesan Appetizer November 20, 2014
- Refreshing Pear and Prosciutto Appetizer November 1, 2014
- Delicate Mini Smoked Salmon and Caviar Appetizer August 26, 2014
- Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls August 24, 2014
- Spicy Crockpot Queso Dip August 18, 2014
- Crayfish and Salmon Terrine August 16, 2014
- All is Good Again March 8, 2014
- Home (32044 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (26744 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (23325 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (20833 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (19513 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15093 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (14631 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14148 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (11890 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (11278 Views)