Refreshing Pear and Prosciutto Appetizer
This is a very simple recipe which can be prepared in 15 minutes, perhaps less. The concept of the dish is combining the saltiness of prosciutto with the sweetness of pear, and those 2 flavors are really heavenly together. For the best results, you will want to select perfectly ripe pears, so take your time to choose nice ones. You will not want anything too hard, nor will you want over-ripe pears which are turning squishy.
As for the prosciutto, choose Prosciutto di Parma or another good quality prosciutto, since this recipe has few enough ingredients so the taste each one is going to be very apparent. The prosciutto may be swapped for ham if you wish. Just use something you like the flavor of. Divide this meat between 4 serving glasses and then prepare the dressing. A combination of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard makes a piquant dressing, and the result is sweet and spicy, bridging the different flavors between the pear and prosciutto to perfection and tying each flavor together.
If you are not keen on mustard, feel free to swap it for a minced small garlic clove or even a tablespoon of crumbled blue cheese. You can also use half mayo and half sour cream if you wish. This dressing goes on top of the prosciutto and then it is time to add your pear wedges. Garnish each appetizer with a few leaves of arugula and serve immediately. This is light enough not to spoil anyone’s appetite for the main dish. This recipe is very simple to double or even treble if you are feeding a larger crowd, and you can swap the mayonnaise-based dressing for another kind of dressing, because pretty much anything goes with the tasty pear and prosciutto combination.
- 12 slices Prosciutto di Parma
- 2 pears, each one cut into 6 lengthwise wedges
- 12 arugula leaves, for garnish
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon white sugar (optional)
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Put 3 slices of prosciutto in each of 4 serving glasses.
- Stir the dressing ingredients together until well mixed.
- Spoon the dressing over the prosciutto.
- Top each one with 3 pear wedges and garnish with a few arugula leaves.
- Serve immediately.
Salty, meaty prosciutto pairs with juicy, sweet pears in this elegant, colorful appetizer. Add some creamy mustard dressing to complement these flavors, and garnish the appetizers with vivid green arugula, to add color to the dish. These gorgeous little appetizers are sure to delight everyone at the table, and serving them in glasses is highly recommended so everyone can enjoy the colors. Feel free to switch the creamy mustard dressing for any other dressing you want, and serve these chilled or at room temperature. These are quick to prepare and tasty enough to satisfy the palate but not too filling to spoilt the main dish – all in all, the perfect appetizer.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)