How to Make Gyros
Gyros are a delicious Greek recipe and if you are looking for tasty Superbowl recipes, this is certainly one to consider. There are different ways of making gyros. If you order one in Greece, the meat will probably be shaved off a vertical, rotating spit of meat and it will be served in flat bread with tomatoes and onions and perhaps some hot sauce.
In the following recipe, stir fried steak is used instead of the enormous spit of meat and flour tortillas make a good wrapping for the meat filling. You could use pita bread if you prefer it though. Wrapping the gyros in foil is another good idea because they tend to drip out the end.
Whether you are catering for a buffet, looking for international appetizer recipes or the best hot appetizer recipes, you will fall in love with these delicious Greek gyros. Not only are they simple to make, because you just need to stir fry the ingredients, but they are bursting with flavor. The oregano, garlic, jalapeno, ranch dressing, tomatoes, and other ingredients really complement the meaty flavor of the steak and this recipe is sure to be a hit at your buffet or as one of your Superbowl food recipes.
- 1 lb beef round tip steaks
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 small flour tortillas, warmed
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced thinly
- ½ jalapeno, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, halved then thinly sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Cut the steaks into ⅓ or ¼ inch thick slices, then stack them and cut them in half lengthwise and finally crosswise into 1 inch wide strips.
- Toss them with the oregano and garlic.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over a medium high heat in a big nonstick skillet.
- Stir fry the onion and jalapeno in the hot oil for 3 minutes, and then remove them.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet, then add half the beef and stir fry it until it is only just brown.
- Make sure you do not overcook it, else it might go tough.
- Take it out of the skillet and repeat with the other half of the beef.
- Put the beef and onions back in the skillet and warm them though.
- Add the salt and pepper and serve in the tortillas with the dressing and tomatoes.
- Serve hot on a bed of fresh salad.
Gyros make a change from chicken wings and ribs and this rich, meaty snack is bound to be a hit at any party. You can see from the photo how colorful and appealing this gyros recipe is. Serve them wrapped in paper or foil to catch drips or use paper plates for serving them instead. The succulent steak is wonderful with the onion, tomato, herbs, and ranch dressing and this is a welcome addition to any buffet table. Greek food is always flavorful and filling and these wonderful gyros are no exception. Serve them hot or warm and everyone will love their amazing flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)