How to Make Easy Sushi Recipes
Sushi is an elegant dish and one of the most fancy appetizer recipes you can make. There are a few important things to know before you start to make sushi, such as which kind of rice to choose and which kind of fish, but once you know the basics you can make the most wonderful Japanese appetizer recipes to delight your guests. Whether you are having a buffet or a sit-down dinner, serving sushi lets your guests know that you have taken care and time with their appetizers and few things are as delicately delicious as sushi.
The following recipe is not one of the famous sushi roll recipes but it is for tuna-topped sushi rice, elegantly bound with a strip of nori seaweed. This appetizer is actually very easy to make and once you have cooked the rice you just have to assemble the sushi. If you are looking for a light, refreshing and chilled appetizer idea, this recipe for sushi could be ideal.
Before you start making the sushi recipe, make a “tezu.” This is a combination of two cups of water and four tablespoons of rice vinegar in a bowl. Halve that amount if you are not making a lot of sushi. This tezu is for you to dip your hands so the rice does not stick to them while you make the sushi. Dip them between making each piece of sushi.
- 6 oz sushi-grade tuna (preferably blue-fin or similar)
- 1 teaspoon wasabi
- ⅛ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup raw short grain white rice
- 1 sheet nori seaweed
- Bowl of tezu (see above)
- Make the rice, following the directions on the packet.
- Stir in the rice vinegar, cover the pan and let the rice cool to room temperature.
- Add cold water to the wasabi if you are using powder. If you have wasabi paste, it is ready to use.
- Drain any juices from the tuna and pat it dry, using paper towels.
- There should not be any bones if you have good "sushi-grade" fish but check anyway.
- Cut the tuna into ¼ inch thick slices, about 1 ½ inches by 2 inches long.
- Wet your hands in the tezu before making each piece of sushi.
- Hold a piece of tuna in your left hand and put some wasabi on your right hand index fingertip.
- Smear it on to the tuna, then take some rice and press it on to the tuna.
- Turn the sushi with your left thumb in the middle of the rice ball.
- With the rice under the tuna, shape the rice into an oval shape.
- Repeat 9 more times until you have 10 pieces of sushi.
- Cut the nori seaweed into 10 strips and wrap one around each sushi.
- Arrange the sushi on a serving platter with the nori seaweed seam underneath.
- Serve very cold.
Few things look as classic or fancy as sushi and this simple combination of rice, raw fish and seaweed makes an eye-catching display at any cocktail party or buffet. Sushi is not difficult to make, although people tend to assume appetizers like sushi roll recipes are tricky to make. It just takes a little practice. Your first attempts at sushi might not look perfect but they will taste good. Learning how to make sushi rolls and how to make basic sushi is easy and if you add sushi recipes to your holiday appetizer recipes, your guests will certainly be impressed. Sushi can be finger food if you are catering for a buffet but serve it with chopsticks for a sit-down dinner. Serve soy sauce and a little wasabi on the side. Usually people stir wasabi into soy sauce using a chopstick, to make a dipping sauce.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29237 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24692 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21798 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21329 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13361 Views)