Feta Cheese and Tomato Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs are one of those cold appetizers that often make an appearance at get-togethers and special occasions. When you pop a deviled egg half into your mouth you usually expect a creamy filling often with a hint of Tabasco sauce in there. Here though, we are changing things up by including tomato and cheese in the filling, and this twist on the classic deviled eggs recipe works really well if you want something more unusual.
The first thing to do is boil the eggs. We suggest boiling them for 12 minutes then rinsing under cold water and leaving them until cold. Of course you can cook these a day or two ahead if you wish. The filling is made by mashing the egg yolks with mayonnaise, cream and a splash of vinegar, along with tomatoes and feta cheese. Use fresh tomatoes (without the seeds else they add too much moisture) or sundried tomatoes if you have them, along with feta cheese. Minced red peppers would work too if you prefer to use those rather than the tomatoes.
The filling can be mashed as much as you like but you do not have to get it smooth. Leaving some texture in there is nice. To fill the egg whites you can either pipe the mixture using a piping bag or snipping the corner off a plastic bag, or else simply spoon the mixture in there for a more rustic look. The choice is yours. If you plan to make these ahead that is fine, as long as you keep them in an airtight container or on a platter with plastic wrap over them. You can then simply remove the lid or plastic wrap to serve them. As well as making a great appetizer for any occasion, these tomato and feta deviled eggs can be served as part of breakfast or brunch, or else as a snack at any time.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup diced fresh or sundried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon celery salt
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- First hard-boil the eggs if you have not already done so, and let them cool.
- Peel the shells off the eggs, then cut them lengthwise in half.
- Put the yolks in a jug and mash them with a fork.
- Now add the tomatoes, feta cheese, cream, mayonnaise, vinegar and celery salt.
- If you do not have celery salt, just omit it.
- Mix until well blended (do not worry about any lumps in there).
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Divide the egg yolk mixture between the egg white halves.
- If you are not serving these right away, put them in an airtight container or wrap plastic wrap over the plate and refrigerate them.
- Sprinkle some chopped fresh herbs on top before serving, if you like.
There is no doubt these unusual deviled eggs are really appealing – just look at that wonderful golden color and the fresh herbs and tomatoes in there too. We are adding feta cheese too. These really do make an exciting change from classic deviled eggs (although of course those are yummy too) and you will find this recipe very easy to prepare. The ingredients for the filling are mashed together and then you simply have to fill the egg yolk halves with the filling mixture. Scattering some chopped herbs over the top before serving adds an attractive presentation, making these elegant enough for any occasion.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37770 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29230 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24673 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21792 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21317 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16208 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15687 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15156 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13784 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13352 Views)