Easy Shrimp and Cottage Cheese Canapes
These shrimp and cottage cheese canapes make great finger food. You can serve them as part of a buffet or as a snack. Count on 1 or 2 per person. Although you can make them an hour or so ahead and keep them on a platter in the refrigerator if needed, they are best served immediately while the lettuce is still crisp and the butter has not had chance to make the crackers soggy. You can cook the shrimp ahead though.
Whole wheat crackers work nicely for this easy canape recipe, but you can use any kind you want really – square, oblong or round, whole wheat or white, even fancy ones with poppy or sesame seeds, or cheese flavored crackers. The lettuce can be any kind too but we recommend Boston (also known as Bibb or butter lettuce) for its nice, bright green color, or romaine. If you are using a small-leaf kind or baby leaves, that is also fine. Just use the leaves whole instead of tearing them up like you would do for the bigger leaves. Rinse your lettuce before using to remove any little insects or bits of sand or soil.
Plain, chive or pineapple flavored cottage cheese would work in this recipe, since all of those flavors work well with the taste of the seafood. As for the shrimp, you can buy ready-cooked shrimp or just cook your own. Boil them in just a couple of minutes. Let them cool before use and perhaps drain the shrimp on paper towels so they are completely dry when you add them to the canapes. We suggest leaving the tails on because they look prettier like that, but of course you can use the tail-off kind if that is all you have. These canapes are really simple to make and you might like to make changes. Consider making some with avocado (soaked in lime juice so it does not turn brown) or cucumber instead of shrimp so the vegetarians can enjoy these little bites as well.
- 24 whole wheat crackers
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- Butter, as needed
- 3 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 12 tail-on medium shrimp
- Black pepper (optional)
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add the shrimp.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until they are pink and opaque.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and allow them to cool.
- Tear each lettuce leaf into 4 pieces, so you get 24 pieces in all.
- Now butter each cracker (this will help the lettuce to stick).
- Add a piece of lettuce on top.
- Add the cottage cheese next.
- Finish off with a couple of shrimp on top.
- Grind over a little bit of black pepper if you want.
- These are best served immediately.
Shrimp is always a great protein to use in appetizers. Not only does it boast a pretty pink color and go well before any kind of poultry, fish or meat entrée, but you can pair it nicely with so many other ingredients. Take these easy homemade canapes for example. These are fresher-tasting than anything you can get in the store. We are using whole wheat crackers, a little butter (at room temperature so it spreads) and then lettuce, cottage cheese and shrimp. These are really cute and the flavors combine perfectly, making these a great idea if you have a crowd coming over.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)