Savory Cream Puffs with Onion Cream Filling
These savory cream puffs are a plain, egg flavored appetizer, which are great for hungry guests. The creamy onion filling goes perfectly with them. The history of cream puffs tells us that they probably originated in Italy or France and are famous for being hollow inside. It is simple to make these easy party appetizers and you can start with the following recipe for cream puffs and then maybe make some with cheese and mustard or mixed herbs in the mixture.
You might like to fill these egg cream puffs with something other than the onion filling because they are hollow. A contrasting tangy salsa or seafood sauce would be nice. You could even stuff them with homemade coleslaw or crab salad in pink sauce for something unusual. These are delicious appetizers for when you want something warm and filling and you can stuff them with anything you like. Serving the cream puffs warm with a chilled filling is nice.
If you are looking for holiday appetizer recipes or fancy appetizer recipes, these onion cream stuffed cream puffs are delicious. They are very simple to make and difficult to get wrong if you follow the recipe.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup butter
- 4 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 ¼ cups sour cream
- 1 oz package dry onion soup mix
- ⅛ cup chopped green onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the boiling water.
- Stir in the flour and salt and keep cooking the mixture until you get a ball that does not separate.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool a bit.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating the mixture until smooth after each addition.
- Drop tablespoons of the dough on to a greased baking tray 3 inches apart from each other, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Combine the filling ingredients and chill the mixture in the refrigerator.
- Let the cream puffs cool on a rack, and then slice them in half.
- Take out the soft dough from inside.
- Put a spoonful of onion filling in each one and serve them warm.
You can see from the photo how delicious these fluffy cream puffs look. The chilled creamy onion filling is the perfect contrast to the warm cream puffs and these delicious appetizers make a change from bread and butter. The recipe for cream puffs can also be used to make sweet cream puffs, which are filled with sweet whipped cream and topped with chocolate sauce or something similar, but the savory version is really good too and if you make cream puffs as easy party appetizers, they are sure to be appreciated. Served fresh from the oven, these cream puffs have a wonderful aroma, which will tempt everyone to have one.
Leave a Reply
- All is Good Again March 8, 2014
- Our Wow’s with Rich Pins March 6, 2014
- Eggs Stuffed with Tuna Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Baked Cheese Olive Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two December 21, 2013
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Appetizer Recipe December 20, 2013
- Grape and Roquefort Cheese Canapes December 19, 2013
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (19060 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (18263 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (15201 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (14033 Views)
- Home (13067 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (11804 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (11502 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (10934 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (10055 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (9199 Views)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (8996 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (8535 Views)
- Grape Jelly Meatball Sauce Recipe (8220 Views)
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés (8166 Views)
- Simple Yet Elegant Beef Tenderloin Appetizers (7542 Views)