Mini Hot Dogs in Homemade Cheddar Buns
There are various recipes for mini hot dogs, ranging from the very simple to the more complex. The easiest way to make mini hot dogs is to heat frankfurters and insert them into mini rolls, but the following recipe is much tastier. The dinner rolls are homemade and they are flavored with cheddar cheese and poppy seeds. The frankfurters are served with a colorful combination of leeks and red bell pepper and some mustard.
If it is more convenient, you can make the dinner rolls a day ahead. If you want to do this, bake them and let them completely cool. Store them at room temperature in an airtight container, and then reheat them in a 375 degrees F oven when you want to make the mini hot dogs.
If you want to alter this recipe for mini hot dogs, you can omit the bell pepper and leek mixture and instead use lettuce and chopped tomatoes, sauerkraut or any other filling you like. Plain hot dogs with mustard, mayonnaise or ketchup are great as easy party appetizers, of course, but it is also nice to add some garnish to them. Serve these mini hot dogs at your 4th of July party or buffet and watch them disappear rapidly as your guests spot them and discover their wonderful flavor.
- 12 oz cocktail frankfurters
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- ¼ lb coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- ½ red bell pepper, in thin strips
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- Mustard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and put oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Bring the butter, salt and water to a boil in a big pot over a medium heat, and then turn the heat to low and tip in all the flour.
- Cook the mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes or until the mixture is very thick and sticky.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and leave to it cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and beat them with an electric mixer or wooden spoon.
- Beat in the cheese. Grease a pair of baking sheets with the melted butter.
- Snip a corner off a bag to make a 1 inch opening and spoon the cheese mixture into it.
- Twist the bag above the cheese mixture, then pipe 20 lengths on to the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle the poppy seeds over them.
- Bake the rolls, switching the baking tray at the top with the baking tray at the bottom of the oven halfway through the cooking time.
- The rolls should take about half an hour until they are pale golden and puffed up.
- Turn the oven off. Make slits through the side of each dinner roll, and then let them dry in the warm oven for 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet until it is smoking, then turn the heat down to medium and cook the red bell pepper strips and leeks until soft.
- Spread some mustard in each dinner roll, and then add the leeks and bell pepper strips.
- Add the frankfurters to the skillet and cook them for 5 minutes, then add one to each dinner roll.
- Serve hot.
These mini hot dogs are colorful and appealing. There are various optional components to the mini hot dogs recipe. For example you might want to leave the cheese out of the buns recipe or not use the poppy seeds. You might want to serve salad or fried onion as the garnish instead of the hot bell pepper and leek mixture. Feel free to adapt this recipe because there is a lot you can do with it. The best holiday appetizer recipes tend to be those you can adapt to fit the occasion and this is a great recipe to build on. Mini hot dogs are suitable for any occasions, such as super bowl Sunday, a 4th July party or a buffet.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21324 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13788 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13357 Views)