Grilled Tomato-Flavored Chicken Shashlik with Herby Potatoes
These wonderful kabobs are packed with flavor and the juicy chicken is so tasty with the tomato-based marinade. The Worcestershire sauce adds a real meatiness to the flavor as well. Why not add a few drops of Tabasco sauce for even more intensity? This recipe makes a complete meal because it features marinated chicken, potatoes and vegetables but you could serve some white rice on the side too if you want, to make it more filling, or some pita bread. For such an easy recipe the results are spectacular and if you enjoy nutritious chicken recipes this might make it on to your shortlist of favorites.
The whole family will like this grilled chicken kabobs recipe because it is so tasty and you will love serving it to them because it is so healthy. Chicken breast is economical and it’s always worth buying extra if it’s on sale because you can thaw it out overnight in the refrigerator (on the bottom shelf and don’t let it drip on anything!) and then use it the following day.
Tips for moist chicken breast include not overcooking it because it will dry out and using a marinade to add extra moisture to the meat before you begin cooking. Chicken is not hard to cook and you can feel when it is done because it will be spongy. If you are not used to cooking chicken cut into one of the biggest pieces. If it is white inside with no trace of pink then it is ready. It is dangerous to eat chicken which is pink inside because it can harbor bacteria which is only killed by cooking it properly and that means white on the inside not pink.
- 9 oz chicken breast
- 1 pint fresh tomato juice
- Fresh chives and parsley
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 4 small onions
- 2 oz butter
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- You will need 6 skewers to make this. Chop the chicken breast into inch-sized cubes. Combine the tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl. Marinate the chicken in this sauce for at least 2 hours but overnight if possible for a more intense flavor. If you are using wooden skewers, immerse them in water for an hour, else they will burn on the grill.
- Wash the potatoes. Scrub them with a brush instead of peeling them. Crumble the bouillon cube into boiling water and add the whole potatoes. When the potatoes are soft, discard the broth. Turn off the flame and cover the potatoes to keep them warm.
- As the potatoes are cooking, peel and clean the onions and gently sauté them whole in a medium-sized frying pan on a medium high heat in plenty of butter. Stir frequently. The onions will take about 10 minutes to cook. Do not let them fall apart or become golden. When they are cooked, keep them warm.
- Thread the chicken on to the skewers, keeping the marinade. Grill the chicken, turning the skewers frequently. It is ready when the chicken is golden and spongy in texture.
- Put the marinade in a saucepan and boil until syrupy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Arrange skewers on a plate. Add 2 potatoes and 2 sautéed onions to each plate and pour some melted butter over them. Scatter chopped chives and some finely chopped parsley over the potatoes. Pour the sauce over the meat and serve.
You can serve this succulent, juicy grilled chicken with potatoes and onions or you can simply serve it with salad and perhaps a yogurt-based dipping sauce if you want to make it more of a snack or serve it for lunch. Chicken cooks beautifully on the grill, especially if you are using a charcoal grill because of the smoky taste your poultry will take on. This is such an easy recipe and the marinated chicken will really please your palate.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)